Successful implementation of SESMIM project emphasizedSociety
Ulaanbaatar /MONTSAME/ On October 22, Minister of Mining and Heavy Industry G.Yondon met with Ambassador of Canada to Mongolia Ms. Catherine Ivkoff.
Minister G.Yondon briefed about sub-objectives and activities of the Ministry reflected in the Government Action Program for 2020-2024 and policies to be maintained in geology, mining, petroleum and heavy industry sector in the coming four years. Moreover, the sides exchanged views on SESMIM and MERIT projects, which are running with aid of the Government of Canada and remarked that SESMIM project has been completed successfully.
Ms. Catherine Ivkoff shared her views on large-scale mining projects being realized in Mongolia with Canadian investment and expressed her intent for increasing the number of projects to be carried out in Mongolia and expanding bilateral ties and cooperation.
Specifically, SESMIM project has been realized with funding from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Canada with a view to strengthening extractive sector management in Mongolia. Furthermore, MERIT project that aims to improve minerals management in a way of making institutional changes is under realization between 2016 and 2023. Within the project, the following results are expected.
- To strengthen capacity of public organizations in directions of managing extractive sector effectively
- To strengthen cooperation between public organizations, civil society, local and public communities in minerals sector
- To provide support to public communities to participate in rural development works and benefit from them
- To ensure gender equality in minerals sector, reflect it in the policy, fulfill and support it
- To upskill organizations with a view to ensure sustainability and create knowledge portal