Deputy PM briefs on implementation of Mongolia's COVID-19 response measuresPolitics
Ulaanbaatar /MONTSAME/. Today’s extended meeting of the State Emergency Commission (SEC) touched on the implementation of the precautionary measures being taken against the COVID-19 pandemic. Prime Minister U.Khurelsukh took part in the meeting to oblige some corresponding officials with tasks, reported the government press department. At the start of the meeting, Deputy Prime Minister of Mongolia, Head of the State Emergency Commission U.Enkhtuvshin said, “Up until today, the SEC has convened 21 times. During this time, Mongolia was assessed as a high-risk country for the novel coronavirus 8 times. Precautionary measures have been taken in two stages so far.” He further continued “During the early spread of COVID-19, Mongolia took certain measures as precaution for the infection, such as restricting the operations of schools, kindergartens, and technical and vocational education and training institutions and suspending the celebrations of the Tsagaan Sar (Mongolian Lunar New Year) and other public holidays. In addition, international flights were suspended along with the entry of foreign nationals and transport for minerals’ exports was also halted. Furthermore, more measures on disinfection and sterilization of import products, and on 14-day mandatory isolation for those transiting through the Republic of Korea and the People’s Republic of China to Mongolia into 14-day isolation were introduced.” “Mongolian nationals have been placed under isolation after being allowed entry through three auto vehicle crossing border checkpoints. Moreover, the decision to send out information through only one source has been properly implemented. I believe that the measures taken by the Government of Mongolia and the SEC were appropriate and quick.” Later on, the SEC decided to extend the period of heightened state of readiness until May 31, and shutting down the schools, universities and kindergartens until September 1. The initial 14-day isolation period for Mongolian nationals arriving from abroad has also been extended to 21 days. The Deputy PM then highlighted that only citizens who submitted requests to return home are being brought back to the country. He said, “Since the day that the World Health Organization assessed Mongolia as a high-risk country, over 64 thousand Mongolian nationals arrived back to their home country. Of them, 54 thousand citizens managed to return during the early spread of the infection as those travelling abroad were called upon to immediately return home. However, over 8,000 people have been brought back since then in an organized manner on charter planes, railway, and auto road and were put into isolation.” Director of the National Center for Communicable Diseases D.Nyamkhuu also gave a briefing about the COVID-19 situation. “A total of 141 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in our country. Out of them, 33 patients have recovered and put under monitoring, while 108 patients are currently receiving treatment. Until today from January 16, tests for the COVID-19 have been conducted on 12,555 citizens in total. Random tests are also being conducted weekly for patients with respiratory illnesses, which proves that there is no local transmission in Mongolia.” The meeting also heard reports by the Minister of Health and other corresponding officials on the measures being taken against the COVID-19 pandemic.